Monday 4 January 2016

Hannah Hoch and Dadaism

Hannah Hoch

Hannah Hoch was a German Dada artist who is best known for her work in the Weimar period. She was also one of the originators of the photomontage technique (see images below).

Source
 I remember looking at Dadaism back in college and revisiting it now makes a lot of sense as Dada at its roots is a rebellious art form, Dada was a protest against the bourgeois, nationalist and colonialist interests which the Dadaists believed to be the cause of WWI. The Dadaists also rebelled against cultural and intellectual conformity in art and also in society.
Source
I feel that Dadaism as a whole relates really strongly to my current practice due to the embrace of chaos and irrationality in the work. Hannah Hoch more specifically I found more interesting due to the photomontage technique and her use of text in many pieces in a disjointed manner. At the time she was creating her work many of her pieces were critiquing the mass culture beauty industry which is something I am challenging in my art practice currently. Hoch also sources her images in a similar way to how I am now in my practice, she collated images from contemporary magazines with women as a central theme.

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment