Monday 4 January 2016

Claude Cahun

Claude Cahun

I briefly came across Claude Cahun last year when I was looking at issues involving gender but I am revisiting her now due to my re-interest in subverting cultural norms and my interest in body image.

Claude Cahun was a French artist, photographer and writer. Her work was both political and personal, and often undermined traditional concepts of gender roles. 


Source
 Cahun actually defined herself as agender but due to a lack of gender neutral pronouns she is referred to as a she in most documentation of her work. I do find that quite interesting as it points out a flaw in our basic language construct.

Source
 Cahun at the time and still to this day is not a widely regarded artist and many at the time thought she was weird and confusing. What I like about her (for lack of an agender pronoun) work is how the portraits do not reveal anything about the artist, they remind me of Cindy Sherman's work in that they are persona's or projections. Overall the appeal of this work is how non-conformist it is and how there is no set beauty ideal within the work.
Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment