Saturday 14 November 2015

Food on the Brain

Food On The Brain

I just watched a documentary about how the food we eat affects our brain, I found it really fascinating how junk food can alter our brain chemistry to such an extent that it becomes an addiction ( Link to the documentary). 

Screenshot from 'Food on the brain'
Time stamp - 44:28

In the documentary Stephen Nolan travels to America to explore the latest research into how what we eat affects our brain and how we think about food. I'm quite interested in the differences or similarities between disorders like Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity, are they any different in how they are triggered or how they affect your brain?

One new set of studies has really surprised me as I didn't consider how what you eat can affect your baby in the womb, I knew that if you under eat there are serious health risks but what I didn't consider is the reverse. The study showed that if you eat junk food when you are pregnant the baby can be at risk of being addicted to junk food at an early age and also be more prone to conditions like autism.

0 comments:

Post a Comment