Friday 21 November 2014

Rebel! Rebel!


After the Gravity lecture this week (Thomas Yeomans) on consumerism and popular culture I started thinking about the Punk movement and Dadaism. Both movements went against popular culture and I really love punk iconography for example the Sex Pistols album below. 




As I was feeling inspired I decided to make a few fast prints done in a similar way using "Rebel Rebel" as the words, which seemed rather fitting. I made a stencil for the first print (top left) and then used just the stencil after it had been used for the first print to create another image (top right). After that I thought I could use the letters cut out from the stencil and some discarded paper to make another piece with black tape to represent censorship.

Not too sure where I am going with this or if it will even go any further but it was something different to experiment with.




"You've got your mother in a whirl, 
She's not sure if you're a boy or a girl,
Hey babe, your hair's alright,
Hey babe, let's go out tonight,
You like me, and I like it all,
We like dancing and we look divine,
You love bands when they're playing hard,
You want more and you want it fast,
They put you down, they say I'm wrong,
You tacky thing, you put them on,

Rebel Rebel, you've torn your dress,

Rebel Rebel, your face is a mess,
Rebel Rebel, how could they know?
Hot tramp, I love you so!
Don't ya?"
Rebel Rebel - David Bowie



0 comments:

Post a Comment